PALO ALTO, Calif .– (COMMERCIAL THREAD) – VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) today announced that it has been positioned by Gartner, Inc. as a leader in the 2021 Magic Quadrant for WAN Edge infrastructure. According to Gartner, VMware was rated on its ability to execute and completeness of vision and was placed the furthest for completeness of vision. This is the fourth consecutive year that VMware has been named a Leader for VMware SD-WAN in the Gartner Assessment for WAN Edge Infrastructure.
Additionally, VMware received the highest score for the Cloud-First WAN use case in the 2021 Gartner Critical Capabilities for WAN Edge Infrastructure report.
VMware SD-WAN is now part of VMware SASE, a Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) platform that combines industry-leading WAN Edge capabilities, edge compute capabilities, and cloud-delivered security features, including Cloud web security, zero trust network access, and firewall, among others. These services are deployed in a global network of more than 150 points of presence (PoP).
“To support the growing number of distributed users (along with their devices and services), the industry is taking networking, security and WAN Edge services to the next level with SASE,” said Sanjay Uppal, senior vice president and general manager, service provider and edge, VMware. “VMware continues to advance its SASE platform and we believe Gartner’s recognition of VMware SD-WAN, a core component of VMware SASE, validates our position to support customers in a new edge reality.
By providing cloud networking and security services with VMware SASE, customers can achieve:
- A cloud-centric approach by enabling multi-cloud interconnection with VMware SD-WAN cloud gateways. VMware SASE services are completely cloud-based and easy to use and scale.
- Better protection against attacks at all levels with robust security, including contextual access, network security, application protection and workload encryption.
- Guaranteed application performance enabling user access and an optimized experience for mission-critical applications, even with a single link and degraded network conditions.
- Operational simplicity with automation and contactless provisioning. VMware SASE can transform day 2 operations and self-healing networks with actionable insights.
- Provision of compute / edge services thanks to a unique positioning between the service provider’s sublayer and the application overlay. The platform can leverage 5G services that improve latency or performance, while simultaneously delivering those capabilities to applications running in the cloud or workloads moving to the edge.
Gartner, Magic Quadrant for WAN Edge Infrastructure, Jonathan Forest, Andrew Lerner, Naresh Singh, Evan Zeng, September 20, 2021
Gartner, Critical Capabilities for WAN Edge Infrastructure, Jonathan Forest, Andrew Lerner, Naresh Singh, Evan Zeng, September 20, 2021
Gartner and Magic Quadrant are registered trademarks of Gartner, Inc. and / or its affiliates in the United States and around the world and are used here with permission. All rights reserved
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product, or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
VMware software powers the world’s complex digital infrastructure. The company’s cloud, application modernization, networking, security and digital workspace offerings help customers deliver any application on any cloud and on any device . Based in Palo Alto, Calif., VMware is committed to being a force for good, from its breakthrough technological innovations to its global impact. For more information, please visit https://www.vmware.com/company.html.
VMware, VMware SD-WAN, and VMware SASE are either registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other jurisdictions.
This article may contain hyperlinks to non-VMware websites that are created and maintained by third parties who are solely responsible for the content of those websites.